Subject: [PATCH 0/3] git-status: create config for ahead/behind calculation

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

The git status builtin includes a calculation for how far the local ref is
ahead or behind the remote tracking branch. This check can be expensive, so
we already have a --[no-]ahead-behind command-line option.

This series adds two bits of functionality to the feature:

 1. Add a new status.aheadBehind config setting.

 2. Add a new advice.statusAheadBehind config setting associated with a
    warning that suggests status.aheadBehind when the calculation takes a
    long time.

We have been running with these commits in microsoft/git for a while now.
The only change I made in adapting Jeff's commits was to add the advice
config documentation.

The status.aheadBehind config setting is a candidate to be added to the
proposed "large repo" meta-config setting previously discussed [1]. I'm
putting this out for independent review as it is much smaller compared to
the potential of that series.

Thanks, -Stolee

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jeff Hostetler (3):
  status: add status.aheadbehind setting
  status: warn when a/b calculation takes too long
  status: ignore status.aheadbehind in porcelain formats

 Documentation/config/advice.txt |  6 ++++++
 Documentation/config/status.txt |  5 +++++
 advice.c                        |  2 ++
 advice.h                        |  1 +
 builtin/commit.c                | 19 ++++++++++++++++++-
 t/t6040-tracking-info.sh        | 31 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7064-wtstatus-pv2.sh         |  8 ++++++++
 wt-status.c                     | 17 +++++++++++++++++
 8 files changed, 88 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: b697d92f56511e804b8ba20ccbe7bdc85dc66810
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-272%2Fderrickstolee%2Fstatus-ahead-behind-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-272/derrickstolee/status-ahead-behind-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/272
-- 
gitgitgadget