Subject: [PATCH 00/24] Reinstate support for Visual Studio

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 06:19:00 -0700 (PDT)

A long time ago, we added support to build .sln and .vcproj files for use
within Visual Studio, so that Git could be built in that popular IDE.

This support languished for years and was finally brought back into Git for
Windows partially through the jh/msvc branch that was just merged into 
master. With the tremendous help by Philip Oakley and Jeff Hostetler, this
re-adds support for Visual Studio, focusing on VS 2015 and later (older
versions are currently unsupported, even if we worked a bit on that front,
too; If there are volunteers to add support for older versions, I would be
delighted to review PRs to that end on 
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git).

Note: the currently preferred way to contribute using Visual Studio is by
using Git for Windows' vs/master branch (which is automatically generated
using the make vcxproj build target that this patch series adds, updated
every time Git for Windows' master advances). My plan is to provide a
similar branch in GitGitGadget, based on top of git.git's master, once this
patch series is integrated.

Johannes Schindelin (15):
  Vcproj.pm: auto-generate GUIDs
  Vcproj.pm: do not configure VCWebServiceProxyGeneratorTool
  Vcproj.pm: urlencode '<' and '>' when generating VC projects
  contrib/buildsystems: ignore irrelevant files in Generators/
  contrib/buildsystems: error out on unknown option
  contrib/buildsystems: handle libiconv, too
  contrib/buildsystems: also handle -lexpat
  contrib/buildsystems: handle options starting with a slash
  contrib/buildsystems: add a backend for modern Visual Studio versions
  msvc: add a Makefile target to pre-generate the Visual Studio solution
  vcxproj: also link-or-copy builtins
  .gitignore: ignore Visual Studio's temporary/generated files
  bin-wrappers: append `.exe` to target paths if necessary
  t5505,t5516: create .git/branches/ when needed
  git: avoid calling aliased builtins via their dashed form

Philip Oakley (9):
  Vcproj.pm: list git.exe first to be startup project
  contrib/buildsystems: ignore invalidcontinue.obj
  contrib/buildsystems: fix misleading error message
  contrib/buildsystems: handle quoted spaces in filenames
  contrib/buildsystems: ignore gettext stuff
  contrib/buildsystems: redirect errors of the dry run into a log file
  contrib/buildsystems: optionally capture the dry-run in a file
  contrib/buildsystems: handle the curl library option
  .gitignore: touch up the entries regarding Visual Studio

 .gitignore                                 |   8 +-
 Makefile                                   |   2 +-
 compat/vcbuild/README                      |  23 ++
 config.mak.uname                           |  76 ++++
 contrib/buildsystems/Generators.pm         |   2 +-
 contrib/buildsystems/Generators/Vcproj.pm  | 119 ++-----
 contrib/buildsystems/Generators/Vcxproj.pm | 387 +++++++++++++++++++++
 contrib/buildsystems/engine.pl             |  55 ++-
 git.c                                      |   3 -
 t/t5505-remote.sh                          |   2 +
 t/t5516-fetch-push.sh                      |   4 +
 11 files changed, 581 insertions(+), 100 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 contrib/buildsystems/Generators/Vcxproj.pm

base-commit: 9d418600f4d10dcbbfb0b5fdbc71d509e03ba719
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-287%2Fdscho%2Fvisual-studio-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-287/dscho/visual-studio-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/287
-- 
gitgitgadget