Subject: [PATCH 00/13] ci: include a Visual Studio build & test in our Azure Pipeline

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 01:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

Git's Continuous Integration (CI) includes an Azure Pipeline that builds Git
on Linux, macOS and Windows, in the former two cases even in multiple
configurations (using GCC vs clang, 32-bit vs 64-bit, etc). On Windows, we
only build using GCC, using (a subset of) Git for Windows' SDK.

Recently, a patch series made it into Git that re-instates the ability to
generate project files for use with Visual Studio. The idea there being:
contributors can check out a special branch that has those generated files
in one generated commit on top of e.g. Git for Windows' master, allowing the
contributors to build Git in Visual Studio, without the need for downloading
Git for Windows' SDK (which weighs quite a bit: ~600MB download, ~2GB disk
footprint). The tests can then be run from a regular Git for Windows Bash.

This patch series adds that axis to Git's Azure Pipeline: the project files
are generated, MSBuild (which is kind of the command-line equivalent of
Visual Studio's "Build" operation) is used to build Git, and then a
parallelized test job runs the test suite in a Portable Git.

These patches are based on js/visual-studio.

Johannes Schindelin (13):
  push: do not pretend to return `int` from `die_push_simple()`
  msvc: avoid using minus operator on unsigned types
  winansi: use FLEX_ARRAY to avoid compiler warning
  compat/win32/path-utils.h: add #include guards
  msvc: ignore some libraries when linking
  msvc: handle DEVELOPER=1
  msvc: work around a bug in GetEnvironmentVariable()
  vcxproj: only copy `git-remote-http.exe` once it was built
  vcxproj: include more generated files
  test-tool run-command: learn to run (parts of) the testsuite
  tests: let --immediate and --write-junit-xml play well together
  ci: really use shallow clones on Azure Pipelines
  ci: also build and test with MS Visual Studio on Azure Pipelines

 Makefile                                   |   4 +
 azure-pipelines.yml                        | 164 ++++++++++++++++++++-
 builtin/push.c                             |   4 +-
 compat/mingw.c                             |   2 +
 compat/vcbuild/scripts/clink.pl            |  48 +++++-
 compat/win32/path-utils.h                  |   5 +
 compat/winansi.c                           |   2 +-
 config.mak.uname                           |  19 ++-
 contrib/buildsystems/Generators/Vcxproj.pm |   3 +
 read-cache.c                               |   4 +-
 sha1-lookup.c                              |   2 +-
 t/helper/test-run-command.c                | 153 +++++++++++++++++++
 t/test-lib.sh                              |  37 +++--
 13 files changed, 415 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

base-commit: aac6ff7b5beeea9bca66ecda6eec60fc1dd447ec
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-288%2Fdscho%2Fazure-pipelines-msvc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-288/dscho/azure-pipelines-msvc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/288
-- 
gitgitgadget