Subject: [PATCH v3 0/7] trace2: clean up formatting in perf target format

From: "Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 08:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

V2 of this patch series cleans up some whitespace and column alignment
issues in the trace2 perf and normal formats. It also removes some dead
code.

Jeff Hostetler (7):
  trace2: cleanup column alignment in perf target format
  trace2: trim whitespace in region messages in perf target format
  trace2: remove dead code in maybe_add_string_va()
  trace2: trim trailing whitespace in normal format error message
  quote: add sq_append_quote_argv_pretty()
  trace2: cleanup whitespace in normal format
  trace2: cleanup whitespace in perf format

 quote.c                 | 18 ++++++++-
 quote.h                 |  1 +
 t/t0211-trace2-perf.sh  |  4 +-
 trace2/tr2_tgt_event.c  |  5 ---
 trace2/tr2_tgt_normal.c | 35 ++++++++--------
 trace2/tr2_tgt_perf.c   | 89 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 6 files changed, 97 insertions(+), 55 deletions(-)

base-commit: 026dd738a6e5f1e42ef0f390feacb5ed6acc4ee8
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-298%2Fjeffhostetler%2Fupstream-2230-cleanup-v3
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-298/jeffhostetler/upstream-2230-cleanup-v3
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/298

Range-diff vs v2:

 1:  38b53da31f = 1:  38b53da31f trace2: cleanup column alignment in perf target format
 2:  db35099712 = 2:  db35099712 trace2: trim whitespace in region messages in perf target format
 3:  09dff12a7d = 3:  09dff12a7d trace2: remove dead code in maybe_add_string_va()
 4:  d5b5a70c1b = 4:  d5b5a70c1b trace2: trim trailing whitespace in normal format error message
 5:  5059776248 < -:  ---------- quote: add sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim
 -:  ---------- > 5:  2002108a30 quote: add sq_append_quote_argv_pretty()
 6:  bb64bb2513 ! 6:  d02a0608d7 trace2: cleanup whitespace in normal format
     @@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
      
          trace2: cleanup whitespace in normal format
      
     -    Make use of new sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim() to normalize
     +    Make use of new sq_append_quote_argv_pretty() to normalize
          how we handle leading whitespace in normal format messages.
      
          Signed-off-by: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
     @@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
       
       	strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, "start ");
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
       	normal_io_write_fl(file, line, &buf_payload);
       	strbuf_release(&buf_payload);
       }
     @@ -26,7 +26,7 @@
      -	strbuf_addf(&buf_payload, "alias %s ->", alias);
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
      +	strbuf_addf(&buf_payload, "alias %s -> ", alias);
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
       	normal_io_write_fl(file, line, &buf_payload);
       	strbuf_release(&buf_payload);
       }
     @@ -38,7 +38,8 @@
      +	strbuf_addf(&buf_payload, "child_start[%d]", cmd->trace2_child_id);
       
       	if (cmd->dir) {
     - 		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, " cd");
     +-		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, " cd");
     ++		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, " cd ");
       		sq_quote_buf_pretty(&buf_payload, cmd->dir);
      -		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, "; ");
      +		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, ";");
     @@ -54,7 +55,7 @@
      -		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, "git");
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, cmd->argv);
      +		strbuf_addstr(&buf_payload, "git ");
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, cmd->argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, cmd->argv);
       
       	normal_io_write_fl(file, line, &buf_payload);
       	strbuf_release(&buf_payload);
     @@ -68,7 +69,7 @@
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
      +		strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ' ');
      +	}
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
       	normal_io_write_fl(file, line, &buf_payload);
       	strbuf_release(&buf_payload);
       }
 7:  a6e5e7c70b ! 7:  9ab7393985 trace2: cleanup whitespace in perf format
     @@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
      
          trace2: cleanup whitespace in perf format
      
     -    Make use of new sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim() to normalize
     +    Make use of new sq_append_quote_argv_pretty() to normalize
          how we handle leading whitespace in perf format messages.
      
          Signed-off-by: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
     @@ -33,7 +33,7 @@
       	struct strbuf buf_payload = STRBUF_INIT;
       
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
       
       	perf_io_write_fl(file, line, event_name, NULL, &us_elapsed_absolute,
       			 NULL, NULL, &buf_payload);
     @@ -44,7 +44,7 @@
      -	strbuf_addf(&buf_payload, "alias:%s argv:", alias);
      -	sq_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
      +	strbuf_addf(&buf_payload, "alias:%s argv:[", alias);
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
      +	strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ']');
       
       	perf_io_write_fl(file, line, event_name, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
     @@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
      +		if (cmd->argv[0])
      +			strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ' ');
      +	}
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, cmd->argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, cmd->argv);
      +	strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ']');
       
       	perf_io_write_fl(file, line, event_name, NULL, &us_elapsed_absolute,
     @@ -82,7 +82,7 @@
      +		if (argv[0])
      +			strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ' ');
      +	}
     -+	sq_quote_argv_pretty_ltrim(&buf_payload, argv);
     ++	sq_append_quote_argv_pretty(&buf_payload, argv);
      +	strbuf_addch(&buf_payload, ']');
       
       	perf_io_write_fl(file, line, event_name, NULL, &us_elapsed_absolute,

-- 
gitgitgadget