Subject: [PATCH 0/2] rebase --autosquash: handle manual "final fixups"

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 16:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

'tis bug fix season! I admit, though, that this bug might be a bit too off
the trodden path to merit fast-tracking into v2.19.0.

While pairing with Jameson Miller to rebase Git for Windows to v2.19.0-rc1,
we had to fix a couple of commits which had somehow lost their proper
authorship (probably due to long fixed bugs in the interactive rebase). We
did so by using empty squash! commits as reminders, so that we could
interrupt the rebase by deleting the squash message, amend the commit
appropriately, and then continue.

This exposed an (admittedly obscure) bug in the interactive rebase: when the
last fixup or squash of a fixup/squash chain is aborted, and then the HEAD
commit is amended, the rebase would not forget about the fixup/squash chain.
It would hold onto the information about the current fixup count and the
intermediate commit message. And upon processing another fixup/squash chain,
that information would be reused!

This patch pair first introduces the test case to confirm the breakage, and
then fixes it in the minimal way.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  rebase -i --autosquash: demonstrate a problem skipping the last squash
  rebase -i: be careful to wrap up fixup/squash chains

 sequencer.c                  | 17 ++++++++++++++---
 t/t3415-rebase-autosquash.sh | 19 +++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: 2f743933341f276111103550fbf383a34dfcfd38
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-30%2Fdscho%2Frebase-abort-last-squash-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-30/dscho/rebase-abort-last-squash-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/30
-- 
gitgitgadget