Subject: [PATCH 0/2] [RFC] Revert/delay performance regression in 'git checkout -b'

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 12:18:32 -0700 (PDT)

As we were integrating Git 2.23.0 into VFS for Git, we discovered that "git
checkout -b new-branch" went from 0.3s to 10+s on the Windows OS repo. This
was an intentional change when writing the "git switch" builtin. Here is the
commit message for 65f099b ("switch: no worktree status unless real branch
switch happens" 2019-03-29):

When we switch from one branch to another, it makes sense to show a
summary of local changes since there could be conflicts, or some files
left modified.... When switch is used solely for creating a new
branch (and "switch" to the same commit) or detaching, we don't really
need to show anything.

"git checkout" does it anyway for historical reasons. But we can start
with a clean slate with switch and don't have to.

This essentially reverts fa655d8411 (checkout: optimize "git checkout
-b <new_branch>" - 2018-08-16) and make it default for switch,
but also for -B and --detach. Users of big repos are encouraged to
move to switch.

I was considering doing a full, long-term revert of this change to get the
performance back to normal, but I also saw this feedback on the list for
this patch:

I like this last bit. The skip_merge_working_tree() function which
this removes was ugly, difficult to maintain, and difficult to get
just right (and easy to break -- even by changing parts of the system
which one might not expect to impact it).

So, the goal is to reduce the complication given by
skip_merge_working_tree() by recommending that users use 'git switch -c'.
The only problem is: users will take a while to move, unless prompted.

This series does the following:

 1. Reverts the change that makes 'git checkout -b' slow again.
 2. Creates a warning that recommends users start using 'git switch -c'
    instead.

This allows us to strip out this performance feature after users have had
time to adopt the new way of doing things.

Derrick Stolee (2):
  Revert "switch: no worktree status unless real branch switch happens"
  DEPRECATION: warn about 'git checkout -b'

 Documentation/config/checkout.txt |   8 ++
 builtin/checkout.c                | 130 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 t/t1090-sparse-checkout-scope.sh  |  14 ++++
 3 files changed, 150 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: 5fa0f5238b0cd46cfe7f6fa76c3f526ea98148d9
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-317%2Fderrickstolee%2Frevert-switch-slow-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-317/derrickstolee/revert-switch-slow-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/317
-- 
gitgitgadget