Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Fix git stash with skip-worktree entries

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 00:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

My colleague Dan Thompson reported a bug in a sparse checkout, where git
stash (after resolving merge conflicts and then making up their mind to
stash the changes instead of committing them) would "lose" files (and files
that were not even in the sparse checkout's cone!).

I first considered changing the behavior of git diff-index to simply ignore
skip-worktree entries. But after re-reading the documentation of the
skip-worktree bit, I became convinced that this would be incorrect a fix
because the command really does what it advertises to do.

Then, I briefly considered introducing a flag that would change the behavior
thusly, but ended up deciding against it.

The actual problem, after all, is the git update-index call and that it
heeds the --remove (but not the --add) option for skip-worktree entries.
"Heeds", I should say, because the idea of the skip-worktree bit really is
documented to imply that the worktree files should be considered identical
to their staged versions.

So arguably, it could be considered a bug that git update-index --remove 
even bothers to touch skip-worktree entries. But this behavior has been in
place for over 10 years, so I opted to introduce a new mode that does what 
git stash needs in order to fix the bug.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  update-index: optionally leave skip-worktree entries alone
  stash: handle staged changes in skip-worktree files correctly

 Documentation/git-update-index.txt |  6 ++++++
 builtin/stash.c                    |  5 +++--
 builtin/update-index.c             |  6 +++++-
 git-legacy-stash.sh                |  3 ++-
 t/t3903-stash.sh                   | 11 +++++++++++
 5 files changed, 27 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: 5fa0f5238b0cd46cfe7f6fa76c3f526ea98148d9
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-355%2Fdscho%2Ffix-stash-with-skip-worktree-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-355/dscho/fix-stash-with-skip-worktree-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/355
-- 
gitgitgadget