Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Pass through the exit code of post-checkout

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 05:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

This is my attempt to revive an old discussion
[https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/] 
(related to this StackOverflow thread
[https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25561485/git-rebase-i-with-squash-cannot-detach-head]
).

> [...] is this the right behavior for "git checkout" to have? I.e. is it
useful for "git checkout" to fail when the post-checkout hook fails, or
would it be better for it to e.g. simply print a message and exit with
status 0?

To answer Jonathan's question, at long last, yes, it is useful. A hook is
not only an opportunity to run code at given points in Git's life cycle, but
also an opportunity to stop Git in its tracks. Further, if you script the
operation, it may very well be useful to discern between an exit code from
Git's operation from an exit code produced by your hook.

If you don't want your git checkout/git switch/git restore to fail due to a 
post-checkout failure, just make sure that that hook does not fail ;-) (This
could easily be achieved by trap EXIT { exit 0; }, I believe.

I discovered, however, that the original patch contribution missed that a 
git checkout -b <branch> will not pass through the exit code, but instead
return exit code 1. As part of my contribution, I fix this, and also
introduce a regression test to document the now-consistent behavior.

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  switch/restore: consistently pass through exit code of `post-checkout`

 Documentation/githooks.txt    | 3 ++-
 builtin/checkout.c            | 8 +++++---
 t/t5403-post-checkout-hook.sh | 9 +++++++++
 3 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: 70bf0b755af4d1e66da25b7805cac0e481a082e4
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-385%2Fdscho%2Fpost-checkout-hook-exit-code-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-385/dscho/post-checkout-hook-exit-code-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/385
-- 
gitgitgadget