Subject: [PATCH 0/1] vreportf: Fix interleaving issues, remove 4096 limitation

From: "Alexandr Miloslavskiy via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:39:06 +0000

This fixes t5516 on Windows. For detailed explanation please refer to code
comments in this commit.

There was a lot of back-and-forth already in vreportf(): d048a96e
(2007-11-09) - 'char msg[256]' is introduced to avoid interleaving 389d1767
(2009-03-25) - Buffer size increased to 1024 to avoid truncation 625a860c
(2009-11-22) - Buffer size increased to 4096 to avoid truncation f4c3edc0
(2015-08-11) - Buffer removed to avoid truncation b5a9e435 (2017-01-11) -
Reverts f4c3edc0 to be able to replace control chars before sending to
stderr

This fix attempts to solve all issues:

1) avoid multiple fprintf() interleaving 2) avoid truncation 3) avoid char
interleaving in fprintf() on some platforms 4) avoid buffer block
interleaving when output is large 5) avoid Out-of-order messages 6) replace
control characters in output

Other commits worthy of notice: 9ac13ec9 (2006-10-11) - Another attempt to
solve interleaving. This is seemingly related to d048a96e. 137a0d0e
(2007-11-19) - Addresses out-of-order for display() 34df8aba (2009-03-10) -
Switches xwrite() to fprintf() in recv_sideband() to support UTF-8 emulation
eac14f89 (2012-01-14) - Removes the need for fprintf() for UTF-8 emulation,
so it's safe to use xwrite() again 5e5be9e2 (2016-06-28) - recv_sideband()
uses xwrite() again

Signed-off-by: Alexandr Miloslavskiy [email-masked]
[[email-masked]]

Alexandr Miloslavskiy (1):
  vreportf: Fix interleaving issues, remove 4096 limitation

 usage.c | 154 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 148 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

base-commit: d966095db01190a2196e31195ea6fa0c722aa732
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-407%2FSyntevoAlex%2F%230194_t5516_fixes-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-407/SyntevoAlex/#0194_t5516_fixes-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/407
-- 
gitgitgadget