Subject: [PATCH 0/1] read-cache: update index format default to v4

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 14:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

After discussing this with several people off-list, I thought I would open
the question up to the list:

Should we update the default index version to v4?

The .git/index file stores the list of every path tracked by Git in the
working directory, including merge information, staged paths, and
information about the file system contents (based on modified time). The
only major update in v4 is that the paths are prefix-compressed. This
compression works best in repos with a lot of paths, especially deep paths.
For this reason, we set the index to v4 in VFS for Git.

Among VFS for Git contributors, we were talking about how the v4 format is
not covered by the test suite by default. We are working to increase the
number of CI builds that set extra GIT_TEST_* variables that we need.
However, I thought it worth having a discussion of whether this is a good
thing to recommend for all users of Git.

Personally, I'm not an expert here, but I am happy to start the
conversation.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (1):
  read-cache: update index format default to v4

 read-cache.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 53f9a3e157dbbc901a02ac2c73346d375e24978c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-41%2Fderrickstolee%2Findex-v4-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-41/derrickstolee/index-v4-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/41
-- 
gitgitgadget