Subject: [PATCH 0/3] commit: fix advice for empty commits during rebases

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:30:19 +0000

In dcb500dc16c (cherry-pick/revert: advise using --skip, 2019-07-02), we
introduced a helpful message that suggests to run git cherry-pick --skip 
(instead of the previous message that talked about git reset) when a
cherry-pick failed due to an empty patch.

However, the same message is displayed during a rebase, when the patch
to-be-committed is empty. In this case, git reset would also have worked,
but git cherry-pick --skip does not work. This is a regression introduced in
this cycle.

Let's be more careful here.

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  cherry-pick: add test for `--skip` advice in `git commit`
  sequencer: export the function to get the path of `.git/rebase-merge/`
  commit: give correct advice for empty commit during a rebase

 builtin/commit.c                | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 sequencer.c                     |  4 ++--
 sequencer.h                     |  1 +
 t/t3403-rebase-skip.sh          |  9 +++++++++
 t/t3510-cherry-pick-sequence.sh |  3 ++-
 5 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

base-commit: d966095db01190a2196e31195ea6fa0c722aa732
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-417%2Fdscho%2Ffix-commit-advice-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-417/dscho/fix-commit-advice-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/417
-- 
gitgitgadget