Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Fix t5516 flakiness in Visual Studio builds

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 15:00:58 +0000

Among the flaky tests, it seems that the Azure Pipeline suffers relatively
frequently from t5516 failing with the Visual Studio builds. Essentially, we
grep for an error message, but that error message is produced twice, once by
a fetch and once by the upload-pack spawned from it, and those error
messages are usually interleaved because of MSVC runtime fprintf() 
idiosyncracies. 

The commit message of this patch is based, in part, on 
https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/407. The patch itself is a much
more minimal alternative (using xwrite() instead of fprintf()) to the code
of https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/407, avoiding the complexity of
the part of the code that allows for unlimited messages.

While it would seem theoretically more elegant to allow for unlimited
messages, in practice too-long messages cause more problems than they solve,
and therefore we already clip them, and this patch does not change that
behavior.

This fixes https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/issues/240.

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  vreportf(): avoid buffered write in favor of unbuffered one

 usage.c | 12 +++++++++---
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: 566a1439f6f56c2171b8853ddbca0ad3f5098770
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-428%2Fdscho%2Ffix-t5516-flakiness-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-428/dscho/fix-t5516-flakiness-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/428
-- 
gitgitgadget