Subject: [PATCH 0/1] remote-curl: unbreak http.extraHeader with custom allocators

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 21:59:17 +0000

This is one of those bugs that can cost entire days of work.

The symptom of this bug is that git -c http.extraheader push ... will fail
frequently in Git for Windows v2.24.0, but not always. When it fails,
though, it will cause a segmentation fault in git remote-https while calling 
http_cleanup() and leave no visual indication of that problem, the only
indication of a problem will be the exit code of the caller (in this
instance, git push will fail with exit code 1).

In my tests during the pre-release period, I pushed many a time, it probably
failed a lot, in the way indicated above, and due to the absence of any
error message, I failed to realize that there was a problem in the first
place.

Fun side note: this bug haunted me for the best part of yesterday, when I
tried to get Git for Windows v2.24.0 out the door. Large parts of Git for
Windows' release management are scripted, and that script failed, claiming
to have been unsuccessful in pushing the tag v2.24.0.windows.1, just after
printing a message to the extent that the tag is already up to date (except
in the first attempt, when it reported to have been successful in pushing
the tag). My attempts to fix the release script were doomed to fail because
the root cause was not a bug in the script, but the bug fixed in this patch.

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  remote-curl: unbreak http.extraHeader with custom allocators

 http.c | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: 93b980e58f5624ee4e3b2dc0d0babaa97ef66d19
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-453%2Fdscho%2Ffix-curl-xmalloc-regression-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-453/dscho/fix-curl-xmalloc-regression-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/453
-- 
gitgitgadget