Subject: [PATCH 00/11] Improve testability with GIT_TEST_FSMONITOR

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:20:15 +0000

The GIT_TEST_FSMONITOR environment variable allows run-time specification of
the fsmonitor hook. Initially used by t7619-status-fsmonitor.sh, we can
enable it across the test suite to see how it affects Git's behavior. In
particular, we can specify the version of the hook that requests a result
from Watchman to get actual updates to the files in the repo.

In many cases, our tests are simply not ready to handle this option.
fsmonitor does not integrate well with features such as split index, bare
repos, or submodules. Other times, we need to disable it because the test is
being specific about what files Git inspects during a 'status' call.

The long-term vision is to be able to run CI builds using a file-system
watcher like Watchman to get better coverage on this feature. These patches
get us closer, but there are still some issues around overloading the
Watchman interface when the tests are run in parallel. When using "prove -j8
t[0-8]*.sh" I see some failures that do not reproduce when running the test
scripts in isolation (on Linux).

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (11):
  fsmonitor: disable in a bare repo
  fsmonitor: do not output to stderr for tests
  t1301-shared-repo.sh: disable FSMONITOR
  t1510-repo-setup.sh: disable fsmonitor if no .git dir
  fsmonitor: disable fsmonitor with worktrees
  t3030-merge-recursive.sh: disable fsmonitor when tweaking
    GIT_WORK_TREE
  t3600-rm.sh: disable fsmonitor when deleting populated submodule
  tests: disable fsmonitor in submodule tests
  t7063: disable fsmonitor with status cache
  t7519: disable external GIT_TEST_FSMONITOR variable
  test-lib: clear watchman watches at test completion

 config.c                                     |  5 +++++
 t/t1301-shared-repo.sh                       |  1 +
 t/t1510-repo-setup.sh                        |  1 +
 t/t2400-worktree-add.sh                      |  2 ++
 t/t3030-merge-recursive.sh                   |  2 ++
 t/t3600-rm.sh                                |  1 +
 t/t4060-diff-submodule-option-diff-format.sh |  3 +++
 t/t5526-fetch-submodules.sh                  |  2 ++
 t/t7063-status-untracked-cache.sh            |  3 +++
 t/t7402-submodule-rebase.sh                  |  3 +++
 t/t7406-submodule-update.sh                  |  2 ++
 t/t7506-status-submodule.sh                  |  3 +++
 t/t7508-status.sh                            |  3 +++
 t/t7519-status-fsmonitor.sh                  |  3 +++
 t/t7519/fsmonitor-watchman                   |  1 -
 t/test-lib-functions.sh                      | 15 +++++++++++++++
 t/test-lib.sh                                |  2 ++
 17 files changed, 51 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: dd0b61f577f041f1119bb3288451f8f9b7f9e3f2
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-466%2Fderrickstolee%2Ftest-watchman-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-466/derrickstolee/test-watchman-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/466
-- 
gitgitgadget