Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Improve line log documentation

From: "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 05:07:41 +0000

These two patches add more information to the documentation for line history
(git log -L) : 

 * Mention explicitly that only the --patch and --no-patch diff formats are
   supported 
 * Mention that any given regex must match in the starting revision

Regarding point 2 : I stumbled upon this while reading the history of
'filter_refs' in fetch-pack.c. I did

    git log -s -L :filter_refs:fetch-pack.c

which shows a list of commits starting with 745f7a8cac (fetch-pack: move
core code to libgit.a, 2012-10-26). So then I did

    git log  -s -L :filter_refs:fetch-pack.c -L :filter_refs:builtin/fetch-pack.c

which fails with

    fatal: -L parameter 'filter_refs' starting at line 1: no match

Philippe Blain (2):
  Documentation/git-log: document accepted line-log diff formats
  Documentation/git-log: mention that line-log regex must match in
    starting revision

 Documentation/git-log.txt | 9 +++++++--
 Documentation/gitk.txt    | 6 +++++-
 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: ad05a3d8e5a6a06443836b5e40434262d992889a
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-494%2Fphil-blain%2Fline-log-doc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-494/phil-blain/line-log-doc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/494
-- 
gitgitgadget