Subject: [PATCH 0/1] [Outreachy] commit: display advice hints when commit fails

From: "Heba Waly via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 09:17:21 +0000

Display hints to the user when trying to commit without staging the modified
files first (when advice.statusHints is set to true). Change the output of
the unsuccessful commit from e.g:

[...]
=====

Changes not staged for commit:
==============================

modified: builtin/commit.c
==========================

 #

no changes added to commit
==========================

to:

[...]
=====

Changes not staged for commit:
==============================

(use "git add ..." to update what will be committed)
====================================================

(use "git checkout -- ..." to discard changes in working directory)
===================================================================

 #

modified: ../builtin/commit.c
=============================

 #

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
=================================================================

In ea9882bfc4 (commit: disable status hints when writing to COMMIT_EDITMSG,
2013-09-12) the intent was to disable status hints when writing to
COMMIT_EDITMSG, but in fact the implementation disabled status messages in
more locations, e.g in case the commit wasn't successful, status hints will
still be disabled and no hints will be displayed to the user although
advice.statusHints is set to true.

Signed-off-by: Heba Waly [email-masked] [[email-masked]]

Heba Waly (1):
  commit: display advice hints when commit fails

 builtin/commit.c                          | 1 +
 t/t7500-commit-template-squash-signoff.sh | 9 +++++++++
 2 files changed, 10 insertions(+)

base-commit: ad05a3d8e5a6a06443836b5e40434262d992889a
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-495%2FHebaWaly%2Fhints-for-unsuccessful-commit-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-495/HebaWaly/hints-for-unsuccessful-commit-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/495
-- 
gitgitgadget