Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Refuse to write to reserved filenames on Windows

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 22:04:59 +0000

On Windows, for historical reasons, file names such as aux.c, nul.txt are
not allowed. For aux.c, attempts to write such a file will result in an
obscure error, for nul.txt the call will succeed but no such file will
appear, ever, instead the effect will be equivalent to writing to /dev/null 
on Linux/Unix.

Let's help users by refusing to create such files altogether, with an
informative error message.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  mingw: short-circuit the conversion of `/dev/null` to UTF-16
  mingw: refuse paths containing reserved names

 compat/mingw.c        | 122 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 compat/mingw.h        |  11 +++-
 t/t0060-path-utils.sh |  13 ++++-
 3 files changed, 122 insertions(+), 24 deletions(-)

base-commit: 53a06cf39b756eddfe4a2a34da93e3d04eb7b728
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-496%2Fdscho%2Fmingw-reserved-filenames-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-496/dscho/mingw-reserved-filenames-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/496
-- 
gitgitgadget