Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Use commit-graph by default

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:33:10 -0700 (PDT)

The commit-graph feature is starting to stabilize. Based on what is in
master right now, we have:

Git 2.18:

 * Ability to write commit-graph (requires user interaction).

 * Commit parsing is faster when commit-graph exists.

 * Must have core.commitGraph true to use.

Git 2.19:

 * Ability to write commit-graph on GC with gc.writeCommitGraph.

 * Generation numbers written in commit-graph

 * A few reachability algorithms make use of generation numbers.

(queued for) master:

 * The test suite passes with GIT_TEST_COMMIT_GRAPH=1

 * 'git commit-graph write' has progress indicators.

 * The commit-graph is automatically disabled when grafts or replace-objects
   exist.

There are some other things coming that are in review (like 'git log
--graph' speedups), but it is probably time to consider enabling the
commit-graph by default. This series does that.

For timing, I'm happy to leave this queued for a merge after the Git 2.20
release. There are enough things in master to justify not enabling this by
default until that goes out and more people use it.

PATCH 3/3 is rather simple, and is the obvious thing to do to achieve
enabling these config values by default.

PATCH 1/3 is a required change to make the test suite work with this change.
This change isn't needed with GIT_TEST_COMMIT_GRAPH=1 because the
commit-graph is up-to-date for these 'git gc' calls, so no progress is
output.

PATCH 2/3 is also a necessary evil, since we already had to disable
GIT_TEST_COMMIT_GRAPH for some tests, we now also need to turn off
core.commitGraph.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (3):
  t6501: use --quiet when testing gc stderr
  t: explicitly turn off core.commitGraph as needed
  commit-graph: Use commit-graph by default

 Documentation/config.txt            | 4 ++--
 builtin/gc.c                        | 2 +-
 commit-graph.c                      | 6 +++---
 t/t0410-partial-clone.sh            | 3 ++-
 t/t5307-pack-missing-commit.sh      | 3 ++-
 t/t6011-rev-list-with-bad-commit.sh | 3 ++-
 t/t6024-recursive-merge.sh          | 3 ++-
 t/t6501-freshen-objects.sh          | 6 +++---
 8 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

base-commit: a4b8ab5363a32f283a61ef3a962853556d136c0e
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-50%2Fderrickstolee%2Fcommit-graph-default-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-50/derrickstolee/commit-graph-default-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/50
-- 
gitgitgadget