Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] sparse-checkout: list directories in cone mode

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 18:47:46 +0000

When in cone mode, "git sparse-checkout set" takes a list of folders and
constructs an ordered list of patterns for the sparse-checkout file. The
"git sparse-checkout list" subcommand outputs the contents of the
sparse-checkout file in a very basic way.

This patch changes the behavior of "git sparse-checkout list" when
core.sparseCheckoutCone=true. It will output the folders that were used in
"git sparse-checkout set" to create the patterns, instead of the patterns
themselves.

I believe this was requested in the initial review, but I cannot find that
message now.

I was going to include this as part of a longer follow-up series, but I
think this may be worth considering for the 2.25.0 release. Hence, it is
included by itself.

Update in V2:

 * Fixed typos/word choice in commit message.

 * Added a second commit including clarification on interactions with
   submodules.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (2):
  sparse-checkout: list folders in cone mode
  sparse-checkout: document interactions with submodules

 Documentation/git-sparse-checkout.txt | 21 ++++++++++++++-
 builtin/sparse-checkout.c             | 21 +++++++++++++++
 t/t1091-sparse-checkout-builtin.sh    | 39 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 80 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 761e3d26bbe44c51f83c4f1ad198461f57029ebd
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-500%2Fderrickstolee%2Fsparse-checkout-list-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-500/derrickstolee/sparse-checkout-list-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/500

Range-diff vs v1:

 1:  07be7b8dda ! 1:  d6f4f40486 sparse-checkout: list folders in cone mode
     @@ -3,9 +3,9 @@
          sparse-checkout: list folders in cone mode
      
          When core.sparseCheckoutCone is enabled, the 'git sparse-checkout set'
     -    command taks a list of folders as input, then creates an ordered
     +    command takes a list of folders as input, then creates an ordered
          list of sparse-checkout patterns such that those folders are
     -    recursively included and all sibling blobs along the parent folders
     +    recursively included and all sibling entries along the parent folders
          are also included. Listing the patterns is less user-friendly than the
          folders themselves.
      
 -:  ---------- > 2:  331bb7d6fb sparse-checkout: document interactions with submodules

-- 
gitgitgadget