Subject: [PATCH 0/8] Harden the sparse-checkout builtin

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 19:25:54 +0000

This series is based on ds/sparse-list-in-cone-mode.

This series attempts to clean up some rough edges in the sparse-checkout
feature, especially around the cone mode.

Unfortunately, after the v2.25.0 release, we noticed an issue with the "git
clone --sparse" option when using a URL instead of a local path. This is
fixed and properly tested here.

Also, let's improve Git's response to these more complicated scenarios:

 1. Running "git sparse-checkout init" in a worktree would complain because
    the "info" dir doesn't exist.
 2. Tracked paths that include "*" and "" in their filenames.
 3. If a user edits the sparse-checkout file to have non-cone pattern, such
    as "*" anywhere or "" in the wrong place, then we should respond
    appropriately. That is: warn that the patterns are not cone-mode, then
    revert to the old logic.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (8):
  t1091: use check_files to reduce boilerplate
  sparse-checkout: create leading directories
  clone: fix --sparse option with URLs
  sparse-checkout: cone mode does not recognize "**"
  sparse-checkout: detect short patterns
  sparse-checkout: warn on incorrect '*' in patterns
  sparse-checkout: properly match escaped characters
  sparse-checkout: write escaped patterns in cone mode

 builtin/clone.c                    |   2 +-
 builtin/sparse-checkout.c          |  52 ++++-
 dir.c                              |  69 ++++++-
 dir.h                              |   1 +
 t/t1091-sparse-checkout-builtin.sh | 320 ++++++++++++++++-------------
 5 files changed, 296 insertions(+), 148 deletions(-)

base-commit: 4fd683b6a35eabd23dd5183da7f654a1e1f00325
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-513%2Fderrickstolee%2Fsparse-harden-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-513/derrickstolee/sparse-harden-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/513
-- 
gitgitgadget