Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] Work around case-insensitivity issues with cwd on Windows

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 02:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Windows, file names are recorded case-sensitively, but looked up
case-insensitively. Therefore, it is possible to switch to a directory by
using incorrect case, e.g. cd documentation will still get you into the 
Documentation subdirectory.

In Powershell, doing so will however report the current directory with the
specified spelling rather than the one recorded on disk, and Git will get
confused.

To remedy that, we fixed this in Git for Windows more than three years ago,
and needed only a small fix a couple of months later to accommodate for the
diverse scenarios encountered by the many Git for Windows users.

Not only to keep the story closer to what happened historically, but also to
make it easier to follow, I refrained from squashing these two patches.

Side note: the second patch is technically not battle-tested for that long:
it uses an API function that requires Windows Vista or later, and we only
recently started to clean up Git for Windows' code to drop fallbacks for
Windows XP. Read: this code used to load the GetFinalPathNameByHandle() 
function dynamically, and that is the only difference to the code that has
been "battle-tested" for close to three years.

Changes since v1:

 * Fixed a grammar mistake in the second commit message.

Anton Serbulov (1):
  mingw: fix getcwd when the parent directory cannot be queried

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  mingw: ensure `getcwd()` reports the correct case

 compat/mingw.c | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 48 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: c4df23f7927d8d00e666a3c8d1b3375f1dc8a3c1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-54%2Fdscho%2Fmingw-getcwd-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-54/dscho/mingw-getcwd-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/54

Range-diff vs v1:

 1:  e13ae2338 = 1:  e13ae2338 mingw: ensure `getcwd()` reports the correct case
 2:  3e3b1c3b1 ! 2:  87ef9ac63 mingw: fix getcwd when the parent directory cannot be queried
     @@ -4,7 +4,7 @@
      
          `GetLongPathName()` function may fail when it is unable to query
          the parent directory of a path component to determine the long name
     -    for that component. It happens, because of it uses `FindFirstFile()`
     +    for that component. It happens, because it uses `FindFirstFile()`
          function for each next short part of path. The `FindFirstFile()`
          requires `List Directory` and `Synchronize` desired access for a calling
          process.

-- 
gitgitgadget