Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Sparse-checkout: Add subcommand and Windows paths

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:02:20 +0000

This is based on ds/sparse-checkout-harden.

The sparse-checkout builtin currently lets users modify their
sparse-checkout file with the all-or-nothing "set" subcommand. It may be
easier for a user to expand their sparse cone using a "git sparse-checkout
add <pattern/path> ..." subcommand. To achieve this while reusing as much
code as possible from the "set" subcommand, the first two patches extract
methods from sparse_checkout_set().

As part of this "add" subcommand, I created a modify_pattern_list() method
that serves as the core interaction with the sparse-checkout file and
working directory. It changes how it constructs the in-memory pattern list
based on an "enum modify_type" that only has two options: REPLACE and ADD.
This could be extended with REMOVE in a later update. I started building the
REMOVE logic, but it was more complicated than ADD, and I didn't have time
to finish it right now due to other obligations.

Finally, a Windows user contacted me about using Windows-style paths when in
cone mode to add a nested directory. This case is fixed and tested in the
final patch.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (4):
  sparse-checkout: extract add_patterns_from_input()
  sparse-checkout: extract pattern update from 'set' subcommand
  sparse-checkout: create 'add' subcommand
  sparse-checkout: work with Windows paths

 Documentation/git-sparse-checkout.txt |   7 ++
 builtin/sparse-checkout.c             | 141 ++++++++++++++++++++------
 t/t1091-sparse-checkout-builtin.sh    |  73 +++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 189 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

base-commit: f998a3f1e588d73ed7285cb14ac4839f63f6dc82
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-546%2Fderrickstolee%2Fsparse-add-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-546/derrickstolee/sparse-add-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/546
-- 
gitgitgadget