Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Demonstrate and fix a rebase --autostash bug with dirty submodules

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 12:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

This bug report came in via Git for Windows (already with version 2.19.0,
but I misread the reporter's enthusiasm to take matters into his own hands).

The culprit is, in a nutshell, that the built-in rebase tries to run git
stash only when the worktree is dirty, but it includes submodules in that.
However, git stash cannot do anything about submodules, and if the only
changes are in submodules, then it won't even give us back an OID, and the
built-in rebase acts surprised.

The solution is easy: simply exclude the submodules from the question
whether the worktree is dirty.

What is surprisingly not simple is to get the regression test right. For
that reason, and because I firmly believe that it is easier to verify a fix
for a regression when the regression test is introduced separately (i.e.
making it simple to verify that there is a regression), I really want to
keep the first patch separate from the second one.

Since this bug concerns the built-in rebase, I based the patches on top of 
next.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  rebase --autostash: demonstrate a problem with dirty submodules
  rebase --autostash: fix issue with dirty submodules

 builtin/rebase.c            |  2 +-
 t/t3420-rebase-autostash.sh | 10 ++++++++++
 2 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 209f214ca4ae4e301fc32e59ab26f937082f3ea3
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-56%2Fdscho%2Ffix-built-in-rebase-autostash-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-56/dscho/fix-built-in-rebase-autostash-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/56
-- 
gitgitgadget