Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Slightly simplify partial clone user experience

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:28:05 +0000

This was something discussed briefly at the contributor summit: users will
have a hard time remembering git clone --filter=blob:none <url>. This series
simply adds a --partial option that is equivalent to --filter=blob:none,
with the ability to specify a size using --partial=<size> that is equivalent
to --filter=blob:limit=<size>.

While going to the git clone documentation to add this option, I noticed
that there is no reference to the --filter option there, nor any discussion
of partial clone. I resolved the former.

REQUEST FOR HELP: If anyone out there is looking for an opportunity to
contribute documentation, I feel there is a need to include a section in the 
git clone documentation devoted to partial clone. Hopefully such a section
would include answers to these questions:

 1. What is a partial clone?
 2. Why would I want a partial clone?
 3. How do I need to be careful when using a partial clone?

I don't have time to write such a document right now, which is why I'm
asking for help if anyone is looking for a non-code way to contribute to the
project.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (2):
  partial-clone: set default filter with --partial
  clone: document --partial and --filter options

 Documentation/git-clone.txt   | 15 ++++++++++++-
 list-objects-filter-options.c | 18 +++++++++++++++
 list-objects-filter-options.h |  8 ++++++-
 t/t5616-partial-clone.sh      | 42 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 4 files changed, 71 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

base-commit: 6c85aac65fb455af85745130ce35ddae4678db84
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-586%2Fderrickstolee%2Fpartial-clone-ux-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-586/derrickstolee/partial-clone-ux-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/586
-- 
gitgitgadget