Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Make add_missing_tags() linear

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 07:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

As reported earlier [1], the add_missing_tags() method in remote.c has
quadratic performance. Some of that performance is curbed due to the
generation-number cutoff in in_merge_bases_many(). However, that fix doesn't
help users without a commit-graph, and it can still be painful if that
cutoff is sufficiently low compared to the tags we are using for
reachability testing.

Add a new method in commit-reach.c called get_reachable_subset() which does
a many-to-many reachability test. Starting at the 'from' commits, walk until
the generation is below the smallest generation in the 'to' commits, or all
'to' commits have been discovered. This performs only one commit walk for
the entire add_missing_tags() method, giving linear performance in the worst
case.

Tests are added in t6600-test-reach.sh to ensure get_reachable_subset()
works independently of its application in add_missing_tags().

Thanks, -Stolee

[1] 
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Derrick Stolee (3):
  commit-reach: implement get_reachable_subset
  test-reach: test get_reachable_subset
  remote: make add_missing_tags() linear

 commit-reach.c        | 70 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 commit-reach.h        | 10 +++++++
 remote.c              | 34 ++++++++++++++++++++-
 t/helper/test-reach.c | 34 ++++++++++++++++++---
 t/t6600-test-reach.sh | 52 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 195 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

base-commit: c670b1f876521c9f7cd40184bf7ed05aad843433
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-60%2Fderrickstolee%2Fadd-missing-tags-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-60/derrickstolee/add-missing-tags-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/60
-- 
gitgitgadget