Subject: [PATCH 0/3] credential: handle partial URLs in config settings again

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:51:02 +0000

This fixes the problem illustrated by Peff's example
[https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/]
, in maint-2.17:

  $ echo url=https://example.com |
    git -c credential.example.com.username=foo credential fill
  warning: url has no scheme: example.com
  fatal: credential url cannot be parsed: example.com

The fix is necessarily different than what was proposed by brian
[https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/] 
because that fix targets v2.26.x which has 46fd7b390034 (credential: allow
wildcard patterns when matching config, 2020-02-20).

This patch series targets maint-2.17 instead (and might actually not be able
to fix maint due to that wildcard pattern patch; I haven't had the time to
check yet).

Please note that Git v2.17.4 will not do what we would expect here: if any
host name (without protocol) is specified, e.g. -c
credential.golli.wog.username = boo, it will actually ignore the host name.
That is, this will populate the username:

  $ echo url=https://example.com |
    git -c credential.totally.bog.us.username=foo credential fill

Obviously, this is unexpected, as a Git config like this would leave the
last specified user name as "winner":

[credential "first.com"]
    username = Whos On
[credential "second.com"]
    username = Who

This patch series fixes this. The quoted part of [credential "<value>"] will
be interpreted as a partial URL:

 * It can start with a protocol followed by ://, but does not have to.
 * If it starts with a protocol, the host name will always be set (if the 
   :// is followed immediately by yet another slash, then it will be set to
   the empty string).
 * If it starts without a protocol, it is treated as a path if the value
   starts with a slash (and the host will be left unset).
 * If it starts without a protocol and the first character is not a slash,
   it will be treated as a host name, optionally followed by a slash and the
   path.

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  credential: fix grammar
  credential: teach `credential_from_url()` a non-strict mode
  credential: handle `credential.<partial-URL>.<key>` again

 credential.c           | 21 ++++++++++++++-------
 credential.h           |  8 ++++++--
 fsck.c                 |  2 +-
 t/t0300-credentials.sh | 13 +++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 34 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: df5be6dc3fd18c294ec93a9af0321334e3f92c9c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-615%2Fdscho%2Fcredential-config-partial-url-maint-2.17-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-615/dscho/credential-config-partial-url-maint-2.17-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/615
-- 
gitgitgadget