Subject: [PATCH] push: anonymize URLs in error messages and warnings

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:20:08 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

Just like 47abd85ba0 (fetch: Strip usernames from url's before storing
them, 2009-04-17) and later 882d49ca5c (push: anonymize URL in status
output, 2016-07-13), and even later c1284b21f243 (curl: anonymize URLs
in error messages and warnings, 2019-03-04) this change anonymizes URLs
(read: strips them of user names and especially passwords) in
user-facing error messages and warnings.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
    push: anonymize URLs in error messages and warnings
    
    A token used by GitGitGadget was leaked by this bug. Thankfully, it
    seems nobody noticed, and I installed a patched Git on the self-hosted
    build agent so that this won't happen anymore.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-618%2Fdscho%2Fanonymize-push-url-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-618/dscho/anonymize-push-url-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/618

 builtin/push.c | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/builtin/push.c b/builtin/push.c
index 6dbf0f0bb71..bd2a2cbfbd7 100644
--- a/builtin/push.c
+++ b/builtin/push.c
@@ -340,6 +340,7 @@ static int push_with_options(struct transport *transport, struct refspec *rs,
 {
 	int err;
 	unsigned int reject_reasons;
+	char *anon_url = transport_anonymize_url(transport->url);
 
 	transport_set_verbosity(transport, verbosity, progress);
 	transport->family = family;
@@ -364,11 +365,12 @@ static int push_with_options(struct transport *transport, struct refspec *rs,
 	trace2_region_leave("push", "transport_push", the_repository);
 	if (err != 0) {
 		fprintf(stderr, "%s", push_get_color(PUSH_COLOR_ERROR));
-		error(_("failed to push some refs to '%s'"), transport->url);
+		error(_("failed to push some refs to '%s'"), anon_url);
 		fprintf(stderr, "%s", push_get_color(PUSH_COLOR_RESET));
 	}
 
 	err |= transport_disconnect(transport);
+	free(anon_url);
 	if (!err)
 		return 0;

base-commit: af6b65d45ef179ed52087e80cb089f6b2349f4ec
-- 
gitgitgadget