Subject: [PATCH 0/4] mingw: prevent external PERL5LIB from interfering

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

In Git for Windows, we do not support running the Perl scripts with any
random Perl interpreter. Instead, we insist on using the shipped one (except
for MinGit, where we do not even ship the Perl scripts, to save on space).

However, if Git is called from, say, a Perl script running in a different
Perl interpreter with appropriately configured PERL5LIB, it messes with
Git's ability to run its Perl scripts.

For that reason, we devised the presented method of defining a list of
environment variables (via core.unsetEnvVars) that would then be unset
before spawning any process, defaulting to PERL5LIB.

An alternative approach which was rejected at the time (because it
interfered with the then-ongoing work to compile Git for Windows using MS
Visual C++) would patch the make_environment_block() function to skip the
specified environment variables before handing down the environment block to
the spawned process. Currently it would interfere with the mingw-utf-8-env
patch series I sent earlier today
[https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]].

While at it, this patch series also cleans up house and moves the
Windows-specific core.* variable handling to compat/mingw.c rather than
cluttering environment.c and config.c with things that e.g. developers on
Linux do not want to care about.

Johannes Schindelin (4):
  config: rename `dummy` parameter to `cb` in git_default_config()
  Allow for platform-specific core.* config settings
  Move Windows-specific config settings into compat/mingw.c
  mingw: unset PERL5LIB by default

 Documentation/config.txt     |  6 ++++
 cache.h                      |  8 -----
 compat/mingw.c               | 58 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 compat/mingw.h               |  3 ++
 config.c                     | 18 ++++-------
 environment.c                |  1 -
 git-compat-util.h            |  8 +++++
 t/t0029-core-unsetenvvars.sh | 30 +++++++++++++++++++
 8 files changed, 109 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t0029-core-unsetenvvars.sh

base-commit: 4ede3d42dfb57f9a41ac96a1f216c62eb7566cc2
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-62%2Fdscho%2Fperl5lib-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-62/dscho/perl5lib-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/62
-- 
gitgitgadget