Subject: [PATCH 0/3] tests: allow to skip git rebase -p tests

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 13:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

The --preserve-merges mode of the git rebase command is on its way out,
being superseded by the --rebase-merges mode. My plan is to contribute
patches to deprecate the former in favor of the latter before long.

In the meantime, it seems a bit pointless to keep running the git rebase -p 
tests, in particular in the Windows phase of the automated testing. In
preparation for skipping those tests, this patch series starts out by
decoupling test cases so that no non-rebase -p ones depend on side effects
of rebase -p ones, and it concludes by a patch that allows skipping the 
rebase -p ones by setting the environment variable GIT_TEST_SKIP_REBASE_P.

In a quick 'n dirty test, skipping the rebase -p tests seems to shave off
about 8 minutes from the 1h20 running time of the test suite on Windows
(without git svn tests, we skip them for a long time already, as they are
really, really slow on Windows).

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  t3404: decouple some test cases from outcomes of previous test cases
  t3418: decouple test cases from a previous `rebase -p` test case
  tests: optionally skip `git rebase -p` tests

 t/t3404-rebase-interactive.sh             | 23 ++++++++-------
 t/t3408-rebase-multi-line.sh              |  2 +-
 t/t3409-rebase-preserve-merges.sh         |  5 ++++
 t/t3410-rebase-preserve-dropped-merges.sh |  5 ++++
 t/t3411-rebase-preserve-around-merges.sh  |  5 ++++
 t/t3412-rebase-root.sh                    | 12 ++++----
 t/t3414-rebase-preserve-onto.sh           |  5 ++++
 t/t3418-rebase-continue.sh                |  5 ++--
 t/t3421-rebase-topology-linear.sh         | 36 +++++++++++------------
 t/t3425-rebase-topology-merges.sh         |  5 ++++
 t/t5520-pull.sh                           |  6 ++--
 t/t7505-prepare-commit-msg-hook.sh        |  2 +-
 t/t7517-per-repo-email.sh                 |  6 ++--
 t/test-lib.sh                             |  4 +++
 14 files changed, 78 insertions(+), 43 deletions(-)

base-commit: 4ede3d42dfb57f9a41ac96a1f216c62eb7566cc2
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-63%2Fdscho%2Fsplit-out-rebase-p-tests-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-63/dscho/split-out-rebase-p-tests-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/63
-- 
gitgitgadget