Subject: [PATCH v5 0/2] Fix difftool problem with intent-to-add files

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 21:19:05 +0000

This problem was reported in 
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/2677, but the problem actually
lies with git diff --raw, and it seems that the bug has been with us ever
since --intent-to-add was introduced.

Changes since v4:

 * Improved both commit messages after feedback from Junio.

Changes since v3:

 * Instead of showing the same OID in git diff-files --raw as in git
   diff-files -p for intent-to-add files, we now imitate the logic for
   modified (non-intent-to-add) files: we show the "null" OID (i.e.
   all-zero).

 * As a consequence, we no longer just undo the inadvertent change where
   intent-to-add files were reported with the empty tree instead of the
   empty blob, but we fix the bug that has been with us since 
   run_diff_files() was taught about intent-to-add files, i.e. we fix the
   original bug of 425a28e0a4e (diff-lib: allow ita entries treated as "not
   yet exist in index", 2016-10-24), at long last.

Changes since v2:

 * Now we also drop the no-longer-used definition of hash_t in t2203.

Changes since v1:

 * Rebased onto sk/diff-files-show-i-t-a-as-new.
 * Verified that sk/diff-files-show-i-t-a-as-new does not completely resolve
   the issue (the --raw output still claims the empty blob as the
   post-image, although the difftool symptom "went away").
 * Amended the central patch of this PR to include a fix for the regression
   test that was introduced in sk/diff-files-show-i-t-a-as-new: it expected
   the raw diff to contain the hash of the empty tree object (which is
   incorrect no matter how you turn it: any hash in any raw diff should
   refer to blob objects).
 * Reordered the patches so that the central patch comes first (otherwise,
   the "empty tree" fix would cause a test failure in t2203).

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  diff-files --raw: show correct post-image of intent-to-add files
  difftool -d: ensure that intent-to-add files are handled correctly

 diff-lib.c            | 3 +--
 t/t2203-add-intent.sh | 5 ++---
 t/t7800-difftool.sh   | 8 ++++++++
 3 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

base-commit: feea6946a5b746ff4ebf8ccdf959e303203a6011
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-654%2Fdscho%2Fdifftool-ita-v5
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-654/dscho/difftool-ita-v5
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/654

Range-diff vs v4:

 1:  69256ab910 ! 1:  4392ae4be6 diff-files --raw: show correct post-image of intent-to-add files
     @@ Commit message
      
                  [...] 0{40} if creation, unmerged or "look at work tree".
      
     -    This happens for example when showing modified, unstaged files.
     +    on the right hand (i.e. postimage) side. This happens for files that
     +    have unstaged modifications, and for files that are unmodified but
     +    stat-dirty.
      
          For intent-to-add files, we used to show the empty blob's hash instead.
          In c26022ea8f5 (diff: convert diff_addremove to struct object_id,
          2017-05-30), we made that worse by inadvertently changing that to the
          hash of the empty tree.
      
     -    Let's make the behavior consistent with modified files by showing
     +    Let's make the behavior consistent with files that have unstaged
     +    modifications (which applies to intent-to-add files, too) by showing
          all-zero values also for intent-to-add files.
      
          Accordingly, this patch adjusts the expectations set by the regression
 2:  9bb8d84ea9 ! 2:  5f933e852a difftool -d: ensure that intent-to-add files are handled correctly
     @@ Commit message
      
          In https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/2677, a `git difftool
          -d` problem was reported. The underlying cause was a bug in `git
     -    diff-files --raw` that we just fixed.
     +    diff-files --raw` that we just fixed: it reported intent-to-add files
     +    with the empty _tree_ as the post-image OID, when we need to show
     +    an all-zero (or, "null") OID instead, to indicate to the caller that
     +    they have to look at the worktree file.
     +
     +    The symptom of that problem shown by `git difftool` was this:
     +
     +            error: unable to read sha1 file of <path> (<empty-tree-OID>)
     +            error: could not write '<filename>'
      
          Make sure that the reported `difftool` problem stays fixed.

-- 
gitgitgadget