Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Allow overriding the default name of the default branch

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:19:21 +0000

A growing number of open source projects aims to avoid the branch name 
master due to its negative connotation. See [1] for an existing discussion
on this. The links [2], [3], and [4] describe community-driven ways for
users to rename their default branches or use template edits to set a new
default branch name.

[1] 
https://lore.kernel.org/git/CAOAHyQwyXC1Z3v7BZAC+Bq6JBaM7FvBenA-1fcqeDV==[email-masked]/

[2] https://twitter.com/mislav/status/1270388510684598272

[3] 
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/EasilyRenameYourGitDefaultBranchFromMasterToMain.aspx

[4] https://github.com/ethomson/retarget_prs

By necessity, existing repositories require a lot of manual work to move
away from that branch name, but it should be much easier for new
repositories.

This patch series allows overriding the branch name being used for new
repositories' main branch. The main way to do this is the new 
core.defaultBranchName config option. This first patch was contributed by
newcomer Dan Goodman-Wilson. Thanks for the contribution!

The other patches follow other places where "master" is hard-coded and use
the new git_default_branch_name() method to consume the config option before
falling back to "master".

The last patch updates documentation only after the config option is ready
to apply to all of these scenarios.

This series DOES NOT change the default automatically, but only provides an
opt-in mechanism for interested users. It also presents a way forward for
such a transition, if and when we decide to do so. Specifically, the new
GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_BRANCH_NAME environment variable could be used to update
test scripts on an individual basis instead of all-at-once.

Don Goodman-Wilson (1):
  init: allow overriding the default branch name for new repositories

Johannes Schindelin (8):
  remote: respect `core.defaultBranchName`
  send-pack/transport-helper: respect `core.defaultBranchName`
  testsvn: respect `core.defaultBranchName`
  submodule: use the (possibly overridden) default branch name
  clone: learn about the possibly-configured default branch name
  fmt-merge-msg: learn about the possibly-configured default branch name
  fast-export: respect the possibly-overridden default branch name
  Document how the default branch name can be overridden

 Documentation/config/core.txt |  4 ++++
 builtin/clone.c               | 14 +++++++++++---
 builtin/fast-export.c         | 10 +++++++---
 builtin/init-db.c             |  8 +++++---
 builtin/submodule--helper.c   | 10 ++++++++--
 fmt-merge-msg.c               |  6 ++++--
 refs.c                        | 34 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 refs.h                        |  6 ++++++
 remote-testsvn.c              | 11 ++++++++---
 remote.c                      | 12 ++++++++----
 send-pack.c                   |  6 +++++-
 t/README                      |  4 ++++
 t/t0001-init.sh               | 20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t5609-clone-branch.sh       |  9 +++++++++
 t/t6200-fmt-merge-msg.sh      |  8 ++++++++
 transport-helper.c            |  6 +++++-
 16 files changed, 146 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)

base-commit: 0313f36c6ebecb3bffe6f15cf25a4883100f0214
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-656%2Fdscho%2Fdefault-branch-name-option-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-656/dscho/default-branch-name-option-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/656
-- 
gitgitgadget