Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Accelerate "git merge-base --is-ancestor"

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 17:24:27 +0000

It was recently [1] reported (and not-so-recently [2] reported) that "git
merge-base --is-ancestor" can be pretty slow. In fact, it is regularly
slower than "git branch --contains" or "git tag --contains", which are
answering a "harder" query.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

The root cause is that the in_merge_base() implementation is skipping the
fast can_all_from_reach() implementation and using paint_down_to_common()
instead. Note that these are equivalent: a commit A is in the set of
merge-bases between A and B if and only if B can reach A.

This fixes the issue, and makes the performance degradation reported by
Szeder a non-issue.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (2):
  commit-reach: create repo_is_descendant_of()
  commit-reach: use fast logic in repo_in_merge_base

 commit-reach.c | 21 ++++++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

base-commit: b3d7a52fac39193503a0b6728771d1bf6a161464
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-664%2Fderrickstolee%2Fmerge-base-is-ancestor-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-664/derrickstolee/merge-base-is-ancestor-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/664
-- 
gitgitgadget