Subject: [PATCH 0/4] On Windows, limit which file handles are inherited by spawned child processes

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 14:41:01 +0000

This is yet another of those patch series that matured in Git for Windows
for over a year before being "upstreamed".

The problem to be solved: files cannot be deleted on Windows when even one
process has an open file handle to it. So when a process opens a temporary
file, then spawns a child process that inherits that file handle by mistake,
and then the parent process tries to delete the temporary file while the
child process is still running, the deletion will fail. (This description is
slightly simplified, see the commit message "spawned processes need to
inherit only standard handles" for more detail.)

Technically, we might want to squash "restrict file handle inheritance only
on Windows 7 and later" into "spawned processes need to inherit only
standard handles", but while preparing this patch series, I found the story
easier to follow with them still being separate.

The real reason why I submit this now is that I needed some ready-to-submit
patch series as an excuse to test GitGitGadget on https://github.com/git/git
.

Johannes Schindelin (4):
  mingw: demonstrate that all file handles are inherited by child
    processes
  mingw: work around incorrect standard handles
  mingw: spawned processes need to inherit only standard handles
  mingw: restrict file handle inheritance only on Windows 7 and later

 Documentation/config/core.txt |   6 ++
 compat/mingw.c                | 140 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 compat/winansi.c              |  12 ++-
 t/helper/test-run-command.c   |  44 +++++++++++
 t/t0061-run-command.sh        |   4 +
 5 files changed, 194 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

base-commit: d9f6f3b6195a0ca35642561e530798ad1469bd41
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-670%2Fdscho%2Finherit-only-stdhandles-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-670/dscho/inherit-only-stdhandles-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/670
-- 
gitgitgadget