Subject: [PATCH 0/8] Directory traversal bugs

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 20:47:37 +0000

This series fixes multiple fill_directory() bugs, one of them new to 2.24.0
coming from en/clean-nested-with-ignored-topic, the rest having been around
in versions of git going back up to a decade. There is also one testcase it
documents but does not fix; I tracked the code for that testcase far enough
to determine that fill_directory() and its callees were not at fault; rather
post-fill_directory() processing done by ls-files eventually calls
git_fnmatch() and it incorrectly filters out one of the returned paths. I
suspect there's a whole can of wildmatch() worms to be found following that
thread, so I just opted to document my findings next to that testcase.

See https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ for the report
spawning this series.

Some comments about notable items in this series:

 * Patch 2: Revert a previous patch which fixed status --ignore behavior
   incorrectly and which complicates code that we will need to significantly
   restructure in order to fix all the issues we want to address (patches 6
   & 7 provide the right fix)
 * Patch 4: a fix to my en/clean-nested-with-ignored-topic, fixing the new
   bugs
 * Patches 6&7: the fixes to the old issues (Other patches were adding
   testcases, code cleanups, comment cleanups, etc.)

CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Elijah Newren (8):
  t3011: demonstrate directory traversal failures
  Revert "dir.c: make 'git-status --ignored' work within leading
    directories"
  dir: remove stray quote character in comment
  dir: exit before wildcard fall-through if there is no wildcard
  dir: break part of read_directory_recursive() out for reuse
  dir: fix checks on common prefix directory
  dir: synchronize treat_leading_path() and read_directory_recursive()
  dir: consolidate similar code in treat_directory()

 dir.c                                         | 174 +++++++++++-----
 ...common-prefixes-and-directory-traversal.sh | 193 ++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7061-wtstatus-ignore.sh                    |   7 +-
 3 files changed, 323 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t3011-common-prefixes-and-directory-traversal.sh

base-commit: da72936f544fec5a335e66432610e4cef4430991
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-676%2Fnewren%2Fls-files-bug-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-676/newren/ls-files-bug-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/676
-- 
gitgitgadget