Subject: [PATCH 0/1] send-pack: set core.warnAmbiguousRefs=false

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 11:13:47 -0800 (PST)

I've been looking into the performance of git push for very large repos. Our
users are reporting that 60-80% of git push time is spent during the
"Enumerating objects" phase of git pack-objects.

A git push process runs several processes during its run, but one includes 
git send-pack which calls git pack-objects and passes the known have/wants
into stdin using object ids. However, the default setting for 
core.warnAmbiguousRefs requires git pack-objects to check for ref names
matching the ref_rev_parse_rules array in refs.c. This means that every
object is triggering at least six "file exists?" queries.

When there are a lot of refs, this can add up significantly! My PerfView
trace for a simple push measured 3 seconds spent checking these paths.

The fix for this is simple: set core.warnAmbiguousRefs to false for this
specific call of git pack-objects coming from git send-pack. We don't want
to default it to false for all calls to git pack-objects, as it is valid to
pass ref names instead of object ids. This helps regain these seconds during
a push.

In addition to this patch submission, we are looking into merging it into
our fork sooner [1].

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/git/pull/67

Derrick Stolee (1):
  send-pack: set core.warnAmbiguousRefs=false

 send-pack.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

base-commit: cae598d9980661a978e2df4fb338518f7bf09572
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-68%2Fderrickstolee%2Fsend-pack-config-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-68/derrickstolee/send-pack-config-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/68
-- 
gitgitgadget