Subject: [PATCH v2 0/4] git-p4: add hook p4-pre-edit-changelist

From: "Ben Keene via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:58:11 +0000

Our company's workflow requires that our P4 check-in messages have a
specific format. A helpful feature in the GIT-P4 program would be a hook
that occurs after the P4 change list is created but before it is displayed
in the editor that would allow an external program to possibly edit the
changelist text.

v1:My suggestion for the hook name is p4-pre-edit-changelist.

It would take a single parameter, the full path of the temporary file. If
the hook returns a non-zero exit code, it would cancel the current P4
submit.

The hook should be optional.

v2:Instead of a single hook, p4-pre-edit-changelist, follow the git
convention for hook names and add the trio of hooks that work together,
similar to git commit.

The hook names are: 

 * p4-prepare-changelist
 * p4-changelist
 * p4-post-changelist

The hooks should follow the same convention as git commit, so a new command
line option for the git-p4 submit function --no-verify should also be added.

Ben Keene (4):
  git-p4: rewrite prompt to be Windows compatible
  git-p4: create new method gitRunHook
  git-p4: add hook p4-pre-edit-changelist
  git-p4: add p4 submit hooks

 Documentation/git-p4.txt   |  44 ++++++++-
 Documentation/githooks.txt |  46 +++++++++
 git-p4.py                  | 191 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 3 files changed, 225 insertions(+), 56 deletions(-)

base-commit: 5b0ca878e008e82f91300091e793427205ce3544
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-698%2Fseraphire%2Fseraphire%2Fp4-hook-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-698/seraphire/seraphire/p4-hook-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/698

Range-diff vs v1:

 -:  ---------- > 1:  585bdd51b2 git-p4: rewrite prompt to be Windows compatible
 -:  ---------- > 2:  f1f9fdc542 git-p4: create new method gitRunHook
 1:  bb3ce3a795 ! 3:  1bdcdc4c18 git-p4: Add hook p4-pre-pedit-changelist
     @@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
      Author: Ben Keene <[email-masked]>
      
     -    git-p4: Add hook p4-pre-pedit-changelist
     +    git-p4: add hook p4-pre-edit-changelist
      
          Add an additional hook to the git-p4 command to allow a hook to modify
          the text of the changelist prior to displaying the p4editor command.
 -:  ---------- > 4:  3d34dd042e git-p4: add p4 submit hooks

-- 
gitgitgadget