Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Makefile: fix the "built from commit" code

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 12:53:15 +0000

In ed32b788c06 (version --build-options: report commit, too, if
possible, 2017-12-15), we introduced code to let `git version
--build-options` report the current commit from which the binaries were
built, if any.

To prevent erroneous commits from being reported (e.g. when unpacking
Git's source code from a .tar.gz file into a subdirectory of a different
Git project, as e.g. git_osx_installer does), we painstakingly set
GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES when trying to determine the current commit.

Except that we got the quoting wrong, and that variable therefore does
not have the desired effect.

Let's fix that quoting, and while at it, also suppress the unhelpful
message

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

that gets printed to stderr if no current commit could be determined,
and might scare the occasional developer who simply tries to build Git
from scratch.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to Git! Please be advised that the
Git community does not use github.com for their contributions. Instead, we use
a mailing list ([email-masked]) for code submissions, code reviews, and
bug reports. Nevertheless, you can use submitGit to conveniently send your Pull
Requests commits to our mailing list.

Please read the "guidelines for contributing" linked above!

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  Makefile: fix the "built from commit" code

 Makefile | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: ed843436dd4924c10669820cc73daf50f0b4dabd
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-7/dscho/fix-build-options-commit-info-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-7/dscho/fix-build-options-commit-info-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/7
-- 
gitgitgadget