Subject: [PATCH] fetch, pull doc: correct description of '--set-upstream'

From: "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 23:52:00 +0000

From: Philippe Blain <[email-masked]>

The '--set-upstream' option to `git fetch` (which is also accepted by
`git pull` and passed through to the underlying `git fetch`) allows
setting the upstream configuration for the current branch. This was
added in 24bc1a1292 (pull, fetch: add --set-upstream option,
2019-08-19).

However, the documentation for that option describes its action as 'If
the remote is fetched successfully, pull and add upstream (tracking)
reference [...]', which is wrong because this option does not cause
neither `git fetch` nor `git pull` to pull: `git fetch` does not pull
and `git pull` always pulls.

Fix the description of that option.

Signed-off-by: Philippe Blain <[email-masked]>
---
    fetch, pull doc: correct description of '--set-upstream'

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-701%2Fphil-blain%2Ffetch-set-upstream-doc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-701/phil-blain/fetch-set-upstream-doc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/701

 Documentation/fetch-options.txt | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/fetch-options.txt b/Documentation/fetch-options.txt
index 6e2a160a47..ff70625694 100644
--- a/Documentation/fetch-options.txt
+++ b/Documentation/fetch-options.txt
@@ -186,7 +186,7 @@ ifndef::git-pull[]
 endif::git-pull[]
 
 --set-upstream::
-	If the remote is fetched successfully, pull and add upstream
+	If the remote is fetched successfully, add upstream
 	(tracking) reference, used by argument-less
 	linkgit:git-pull[1] and other commands. For more information,
 	see `branch.<name>.merge` and `branch.<name>.remote` in

base-commit: 7814e8a05a59c0cf5fb186661d1551c75d1299b5
-- 
gitgitgadget