Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Sparse checkout improvements -- improved sparsity updating

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 07:11:26 +0000

This series provides a replacement for the git read-tree -mu HEAD-based
sparsity updating used by sparse-checkout, fixing the myriad problems it
causes. The most important bit is patch 5 and its lengthy commit message
explaining the current state and rationale.

Consider the series RFC for now; I probably need to add some tests, get some
people at work who are willing to test it in real cases, and get some
community feedback particularly on the choices/comments highlighted in the
commit message to patch 5. But it's at least basically functional so I
wanted to send it out to the community for feedback.

Elijah Newren (7):
  unpack-trees: fix minor typo in comment
  t1091: make some tests a little more defensive against failures
  unpack-trees: allow check_updates() to work on a different index
  unpack-trees: do not mark a dirty path with SKIP_WORKTREE
  unpack-trees: add a new update_sparsity() function
  sparse-checkout: use new update_sparsity() function
  sparse-checkout: provide a new update subcommand

 Documentation/git-sparse-checkout.txt |  10 +++
 builtin/sparse-checkout.c             |  49 ++++-------
 t/t1091-sparse-checkout-builtin.sh    |  34 ++++++--
 unpack-trees.c                        | 119 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 unpack-trees.h                        |   2 +
 5 files changed, 169 insertions(+), 45 deletions(-)

base-commit: 30e9940356dc67959877f4b2417da33ebdefbb79
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-726%2Fnewren%2Fsparse-checkout-improvements-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-726/newren/sparse-checkout-improvements-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/726
-- 
gitgitgadget