Subject: [PATCH 0/5] tests: various improvements to the GIT_TEST_INSTALLED feature

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 05:48:32 -0800 (PST)

By setting the GIT_TEST_INSTALLED variable to the path of an installed Git
executable, it is possible to run the test suite also on a specific
installed version (as opposed to a version built from scratch).

The only thing this needs that is unlikely to be installed is the test
helper(s).

However, there have been a few rough edges around that, identified in my
(still ongoing) work to support building Git in Visual Studio (where we do
not want to run GNU Make, and where we have no canonical way to create, say,
hard-linked copies of the built-in commands, and other work to let Git for
Windows play better with BusyBox.

Triggered by a comment of AEvar
[https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/], I
hereby contribute these assorted fixes for the GIT_TEST_INSTALLED feature.

Johannes Schindelin (5):
  tests: fix GIT_TEST_INSTALLED's PATH to include t/helper/
  tests: respect GIT_TEST_INSTALLED when initializing repositories
  t/lib-gettext: test installed git-sh-i18n if GIT_TEST_INSTALLED is set
  tests: do not require Git to be built when testing an installed Git
  tests: explicitly use `git.exe` on Windows

 Makefile                |  1 +
 t/lib-gettext.sh        |  7 ++++++-
 t/test-lib-functions.sh |  3 ++-
 t/test-lib.sh           | 15 ++++++++++-----
 4 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

base-commit: 8858448bb49332d353febc078ce4a3abcc962efe
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-73%2Fdscho%2Ftest-git-installed-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-73/dscho/test-git-installed-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/73
-- 
gitgitgadget