Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Inclusive naming, part II

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 18:10:48 +0000

This patch series represents the logical next step on the journey begun with
introducing init.defaultBranch: in these patches, we avoid a couple
unnecessary mentions of the branch name "master".

This patch series does not try to change the default branch name, although I
have that patch series ready to go. You can see the overall idea here: 
https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/655. Concretely, I plan on
submitting three more patch series after this one:

 1. a relatively small patch series to avoid using the branch name main in
    the test suite. This is necessary because my plan is to change the
    default branch name to that name, therefore it cannot be used as the
    name of a topic branch any longer.
 2. a relatively large patch series (currently consisting of 18 patches) to
    change the default branch name to main. Most of the patches provide
    non-trivial (read: non-scriptable) adjustments to the test suite in an
    incremental fashion, with a big patch toward the end that reflects a
    fully-automated search-and-replace of all the trivial cases.
 3. a very small patch series with fall-out patches that are not necessary
    to pass the test suite, but are still required to complete the rename
    (adjusted code comment, file rename).

(Note: I am still debating whether I should move one or two patches from the
second to the third patch series)

Johannes Schindelin (5):
  fast-export: avoid using unnecessary language in a code comment
  t/test-terminal: avoid non-inclusive language
  t3200: avoid variations of the `master` branch name
  tests: avoid variations of the `master` branch name
  t9902: avoid using the branch name `master`

 builtin/fast-export.c        |  2 +-
 t/t3200-branch.sh            | 34 ++++++++++++++---------------
 t/t3427-rebase-subtree.sh    | 42 ++++++++++++++++++------------------
 t/t4150-am.sh                |  8 +++----
 t/t5515-fetch-merge-logic.sh |  6 +++---
 t/t5523-push-upstream.sh     | 20 ++++++++---------
 t/t6018-rev-list-glob.sh     |  6 +++---
 t/t6040-tracking-info.sh     | 20 ++++++++---------
 t/t6409-merge-subtree.sh     | 14 ++++++------
 t/t9902-completion.sh        | 10 ++++-----
 t/test-terminal.perl         | 32 +++++++++++++--------------
 11 files changed, 97 insertions(+), 97 deletions(-)

base-commit: 54e85e7af1ac9e9a92888060d6811ae767fea1bc
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-734%2Fdscho%2Favoid-unnecessary-branch-name-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-734/dscho/avoid-unnecessary-branch-name-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/734
-- 
gitgitgadget