Subject: [PATCH 0/5] ci: replace our Azure Pipeline by GitHub Actions

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 12:48:28 +0000

Our Azure Pipeline has served us well over the course of the past year or
so, steadily catching issues before the respective patches hit the next 
branch.

There is a GitHub-native CI system now, though, called "GitHub Actions"
[https://github.com/features/actions] which is essentially on par with Azure
Pipelines as far as our needs are concerned, and it brings a couple of
advantages:

 * It is substantially easier to set up than Azure Pipelines: all you need
   is to add the YAML-based build definition, push to your fork on GitHub,
   and that's it.
 * The syntax is a bit easier to read than Azure Pipelines'.
 * We get more concurrent jobs (Azure Pipelines is limited to 10 concurrent
   jobs).

With this change, users also no longer need to open a PR at 
https://github.com/git/git or at https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git just to
get the benefit of a CI build. They just push to their fork on GitHub and
monitor the build. Easier than making apple pie.

The only caveat is that this will only work once the patch series makes it
to master. In the meantime, you can adore the CI build here: 
https://github.com/dscho/git/actions/runs/67349068

Johannes Schindelin (5):
  ci/lib: if CI type is unknown, show the environment variables
  ci/lib: allow running in GitHub Actions
  ci: configure GitHub Actions for CI/PR
  README: add a build badge for the GitHub Actions runs
  ci: retire the Azure Pipelines definition

 .github/workflows/main.yml | 271 ++++++++++++++++++
 README.md                  |   2 +-
 azure-pipelines.yml        | 558 -------------------------------------
 ci/lib.sh                  |  21 +-
 4 files changed, 292 insertions(+), 560 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 .github/workflows/main.yml
 delete mode 100644 azure-pipelines.yml

base-commit: 274b9cc25322d9ee79aa8e6d4e86f0ffe5ced925
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-743%2Fdscho%2Fgithub-actions-git.git-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-743/dscho/github-actions-git.git-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/743
-- 
gitgitgadget