Subject: [PATCH] rebase -i: mark commits that begin empty in todo editor

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 23:26:39 +0000

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

While many users who intentionally create empty commits do not want them
thrown away by a rebase, there are third-party tools that generate empty
commits that a user might not want.  In the past, users have used rebase
to get rid of such commits (a side-effect of the fact that the --apply
backend is not currently capable of keeping them).  While such users
could fire up an interactive rebase and just remove the lines
corresponding to empty commits, that might be difficult if the
third-party tool generates many of them.  Simplify this task for users
by marking such lines with a suffix of " # empty" in the todo list.

Suggested-by: Sami Boukortt <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
    rebase -i: mark commits that begin empty in todo editor
    
    If this isn't enough, we could talk about resurrecting --no-keep-empty
    (and making --keep-empty just exist to countermand an earlier
    --no-keep-empty), but perhaps this is good enough?

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-757%2Fnewren%2Frebase-mark-empty-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-757/newren/rebase-mark-empty-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/757

 Documentation/git-rebase.txt | 3 ++-
 sequencer.c                  | 5 +++++
 2 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
index f7a6033607f..8ab0558aca2 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-rebase.txt
@@ -620,7 +620,8 @@ commits that started empty, though these are rare in practice.  It
 also drops commits that become empty and has no option for controlling
 this behavior.
 
-The merge backend keeps intentionally empty commits.  Similar to the
+The merge backend keeps intentionally empty commits (though with -i
+they are marked as empty in the todo list editor).  Similar to the
 apply backend, by default the merge backend drops commits that become
 empty unless -i/--interactive is specified (in which case it stops and
 asks the user what to do).  The merge backend also has an
diff --git a/sequencer.c b/sequencer.c
index e528225e787..ce9fd27a878 100644
--- a/sequencer.c
+++ b/sequencer.c
@@ -4656,6 +4656,9 @@ static int make_script_with_merges(struct pretty_print_context *pp,
 			strbuf_addf(&buf, "%s %s %s", cmd_pick,
 				    oid_to_hex(&commit->object.oid),
 				    oneline.buf);
+			if (is_empty)
+				strbuf_addf(&buf, " %c empty",
+					    comment_line_char);
 
 			FLEX_ALLOC_STR(entry, string, buf.buf);
 			oidcpy(&entry->entry.oid, &commit->object.oid);
@@ -4861,6 +4864,8 @@ int sequencer_make_script(struct repository *r, struct strbuf *out, int argc,
 		strbuf_addf(out, "%s %s ", insn,
 			    oid_to_hex(&commit->object.oid));
 		pretty_print_commit(&pp, commit, out);
+		if (is_empty)
+			strbuf_addf(out, " %c empty", comment_line_char);
 		strbuf_addch(out, '\n');
 	}
 	return 0;

base-commit: 274b9cc25322d9ee79aa8e6d4e86f0ffe5ced925
-- 
gitgitgadget