Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] fsmonitor inline / testing cleanup

From: "Nipunn Koorapati via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:21:04 +0000

UPDATE SINCE v1

 * Removed include of dir.h from fsmonitor.h as it's no longer needed

Credit to alexmv again - I'm rebasing these changes from a couple years ago
for contribution.

Full comments are available here -
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
To summarize the relevant points

Re: Inlining mark_fsmonitor_[in]valid peartben said

I'm fine with these not being inline.  I was attempting to minimize the 
performance impact of the fsmonitor code when it was not even turned on. 
  Inlineing these functions allowed it to be kept to a simple test but I 
suspect (especially with modern optimizing compilers) that the overhead 
of calling a function to do that test is negligible.

Re test-dump-fsmonitor peartben suggested keeping the +- syntax as well as
the summary counts dscho suggested dumping the invalid entries

Alex Vandiver (2):
  fsmonitor: stop inline'ing mark_fsmonitor_valid / _invalid
  fsmonitor: make output of test-dump-fsmonitor more concise

 fsmonitor.c                    | 19 +++++++++++++++++++
 fsmonitor.h                    | 19 ++-----------------
 t/helper/test-dump-fsmonitor.c | 14 ++++++++++++--
 3 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)

base-commit: 69986e19ffcfb9af674ae5180689ab7bbf92ed28
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-767%2Fnipunn1313%2Ffsmonitor-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-767/nipunn1313/fsmonitor-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/767

Range-diff vs v1:

 1:  049989652c ! 1:  ab9c330ca8 fsmonitor: stop inline'ing mark_fsmonitor_valid / _invalid
     @@ fsmonitor.c: void refresh_fsmonitor(struct index_state *istate)
       	unsigned int i;
      
       ## fsmonitor.h ##
     +@@
     + #define FSMONITOR_H
     + 
     + #include "cache.h"
     +-#include "dir.h"
     + 
     + extern struct trace_key trace_fsmonitor;
     + 
      @@ fsmonitor.h: void refresh_fsmonitor(struct index_state *istate);
        * called any time the cache entry has been updated to reflect the
        * current state of the file on disk.
 2:  598521091a = 2:  8ff657ded1 fsmonitor: make output of test-dump-fsmonitor more concise

-- 
gitgitgadget