Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Support both merge backends in the testsuite, via environment variable

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:01:15 +0000

This patch series builds on top of en/dir-rename-tests. It can be applied
independent of my "new merge-ort" API series I submitted a couple days
ago[1], but this series uses the same environment variable as patch 4 of
that series. [Also, if gitgitgadget emails more than 8 patches, then my
attempts to use it to send out a patch series based on en/dir-rename-tests
went wrong.]

As promised, here is a series that makes the testsuite changes needed to
simultaneously support both merge backends, keyed off a
GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM environment variable setting.

NOTE: The tests do not yet pass with GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM=ort, because I
haven't submitted the implementation of the merge-ort functions -- yet. I
figured they are useful as a high level overview of the differences in
behavior between the two backends, and thus am providing these before the
implementation.

[1] 
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Elijah Newren (9):
  t/: new helper for tests that pass with ort but fail with recursive
  merge tests: expect improved directory/file conflict handling in ort
  t6416: correct expectation for rename/rename(1to2) + directory/file
  t6404, t6423: expect improved rename/delete handling in ort backend
  t6423: expect improved conflict markers labels in the ort backend
  merge tests: expect slight differences in output for recursive vs. ort
  t6423, t6436: note improved ort handling with dirty files
  t6423: note improved ort handling with untracked files
  t6423: add more details about direct resolution of directories

 t/lib-merge.sh                         |  15 +
 t/t6400-merge-df.sh                    |  14 +-
 t/t6402-merge-rename.sh                | 122 ++++-
 t/t6404-recursive-merge.sh             |  14 +-
 t/t6416-recursive-corner-cases.sh      | 200 ++++---
 t/t6422-merge-rename-corner-cases.sh   |  37 +-
 t/t6423-merge-rename-directories.sh    | 704 +++++++++++++++----------
 t/t6426-merge-skip-unneeded-updates.sh |   3 +-
 t/t6430-merge-recursive.sh             |   3 +-
 t/t6436-merge-overwrite.sh             |  18 +-
 t/t6437-submodule-merge.sh             |  25 +-
 t/t7602-merge-octopus-many.sh          |   4 +
 t/t7610-mergetool.sh                   |  32 +-
 13 files changed, 805 insertions(+), 386 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 t/lib-merge.sh

base-commit: c64432aacda9054459ce550eca95929897c301bd
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-769%2Fnewren%2Ftests-support-both-merge-backends-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-769/newren/tests-support-both-merge-backends-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/769
-- 
gitgitgadget