Subject: [PATCH] rebase: display an error if --root and --fork-point are both provided

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 16:21:39 +0000

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

--root implies we want to rebase all commits since the beginning of
history.  --fork-point means we want to use the reflog of the specified
upstream to find the best common ancestor between <upstream> and
<branch> and only rebase commits since that common ancestor.  These
options are clearly contradictory, so throw an error (instead of
segfaulting on a NULL pointer) if both are specified.

Reported-by: Alexander Berg <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
    rebase: display an error if --root and --fork-point are both provided
    
    --root implies we want to rebase all commits since the beginning of
    history. --fork-point means we want to use the reflog of the specified
    upstream to find the best common ancestor between and and only rebase
    commits since that common ancestor. These options are clearly
    contradictory, so throw an error (instead of segfaulting on a NULL
    pointer) if both are specified.
    
    Reported-by: Alexander Berg [email-masked]
    [[email-masked]]Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren [email-masked]
    [[email-masked]]

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-771%2Fnewren%2Frebase-fork-point-root-error-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-771/newren/rebase-fork-point-root-error-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/771

 builtin/rebase.c | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)

diff --git a/builtin/rebase.c b/builtin/rebase.c
index bff53d5d167..287ac1aa21b 100644
--- a/builtin/rebase.c
+++ b/builtin/rebase.c
@@ -1652,6 +1652,9 @@ int cmd_rebase(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 			die(_("cannot combine '--keep-base' with '--root'"));
 	}
 
+	if (options.root && fork_point > 0)
+		die(_("cannot combine '--root' with '--fork-point'"));
+
 	if (action != ACTION_NONE && !in_progress)
 		die(_("No rebase in progress?"));
 	setenv(GIT_REFLOG_ACTION_ENVIRONMENT, "rebase", 0);

base-commit: af6b65d45ef179ed52087e80cb089f6b2349f4ec
-- 
gitgitgadget