Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Maintenance IV: Platform-specific background maintenance

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 14:03:13 +0000

This is based on ds/maintenance-part-3.

After sitting with the background maintenance as it has been cooking, I
wanted to come back around and implement the background maintenance for
Windows. However, I noticed that there were some things bothering me with
background maintenance on my macOS machine. These are detailed in PATCH 2,
but the tl;dr is that 'cron' is not recommended by Apple and instead
'launchd' satisfies our needs.

This series implements the background scheduling so git maintenance
(start|stop) works on those platforms. I've been operating with these
schedules for a while now without the problems described in the patches.

There is a particularly annoying case about console windows popping up on
Windows, but PATCH 3 describes a plan to get around that.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (3):
  maintenance: extract platform-specific scheduling
  maintenance: use launchctl on macOS
  maintenance: use Windows scheduled tasks

 builtin/gc.c           | 428 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 t/t7900-maintenance.sh |  86 ++++++++-
 t/test-lib.sh          |   4 +
 3 files changed, 498 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)

base-commit: 0016b618182f642771dc589cf0090289f9fe1b4f
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-776%2Fderrickstolee%2Fmaintenance%2FmacOS-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-776/derrickstolee/maintenance/macOS-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/776
-- 
gitgitgadget