Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Sparse checkout status

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 23:33:31 +0000

Some of the feedback of folks trying out sparse-checkouts at $dayjob is that
sparse checkouts can sometimes be disorienting; users can forget that they
had a sparse-checkout and then wonder where files went. This series adds
some output to 'git status' and modifies git-prompt slightly as an attempt
to help.

For reference, I suspect that in repositories that are large enough that
people always use sparse-checkouts (e.g. windows or office repos), that this
isn't a problem. But when the repository is approximately
linux-kernel-sized, then it is reasonable for some folks to have a full
checkout. sparse-checkouts, however, can provide various build system and
IDE performance improvements, so we have a split of users who have
sparse-checkouts and those who have full checkouts. It's easy for users who
are bridging in between the two worlds or just trying out sparse-checkouts
for the first time to get confused.

Elijah Newren (2):
  [RFC] wt-status: show sparse checkout status as well
  [RFC] git-prompt: include sparsity state as well

 contrib/completion/git-prompt.sh |  7 ++++++-
 wt-status.c                      | 35 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 wt-status.h                      |  1 +
 3 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: eebb51ba8cab97c0b3f3f18eaab7796803b8494b
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-808%2Fnewren%2Fsparse-checkout-status-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-808/newren/sparse-checkout-status-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/808
-- 
gitgitgadget