Subject: [PATCH 00/11] Drop the PREPARE_FOR_MAIN_BRANCH prereq

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 01:06:59 +0000

When I started contributing all those patch series to start preparing for
the default branch name main, I had the idea that we could change the
default branch name in time for v2.30.0, and therefore felt free to
introduce the PREPARE_FOR_MAIN_BRANCH prereq whose sole purpose was to
adjust a few tests preemptively that would then have to be skipped until the
test suite was converted to using main as default branch name.

However, this was too ambitious a plan.

The current state is therefore an undesirable one: we skip a few test cases,
in preparation for a time when git init will default to using a different
name than master for the initial branch name, and nobody realistically knows
when this will happen.

To address that, I spent some time to convert just the affected scripts to
using main, adjusting them in a way where they do not depend on the name git
init gave the initial branch at all, which allowed me to drop that prereq
altogether.

None of these changes should be controversial, intentionally so, to allow
this patch series to go in before v2.30.0 is tagged, so that we can enjoy
the full coverage of the test suite again.

Johannes Schindelin (11):
  t1400: use `main` as initial branch name
  t3200: finish transitioning to the initial branch name `main`
  t3201: finalize transitioning to using the branch name `main`
  t3203: complete the transition to using the branch name `main`
  t3205: finalize transitioning to using the branch name `main`
  t5505: finalize transitioning to using the branch name `main`
  t5510: use `main` as initial branch name
  t5703: use `main` as initial branch name
  t6302: use `main` as initial branch name
  t9902: use `main` as initial branch name
  tests: drop the `PREPARE_FOR_MAIN_BRANCH` prereq

 t/t1400-update-ref.sh              |  75 +++----
 t/t3200-branch.sh                  | 265 +++++++++++++------------
 t/t3201-branch-contains.sh         |  83 ++++----
 t/t3203-branch-output.sh           |  43 ++--
 t/t3205-branch-color.sh            |   9 +-
 t/t5505-remote.sh                  | 156 +++++++--------
 t/t5510-fetch.sh                   | 168 ++++++++--------
 t/t5703-upload-pack-ref-in-want.sh |  65 +++---
 t/t6302-for-each-ref-filter.sh     |  59 +++---
 t/t9902-completion.sh              | 309 +++++++++++++++--------------
 t/test-lib.sh                      |   8 -
 11 files changed, 621 insertions(+), 619 deletions(-)

base-commit: 1c52ecf4ba0f4f7af72775695fee653f50737c71
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-816%2Fdscho%2Fdrop-prepare-for-main-branch-prereq-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-816/dscho/drop-prepare-for-main-branch-prereq-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/816
-- 
gitgitgadget