Subject: [PATCH 0/8] Cleanups around index operations

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 19:26:45 +0000

I've taken a professional interest in the index lately, and I've been trying
mostly to learn about it and measure different operations. Along the way,
I've seen some possible improvements in documentation, behavior, and
tracing.

This series collects most of my thoughts so far, including:

 1. Adding extra trace2 regions and statistics (similar to [1]) (Patches
    1-5).
 2. Update documentation about the cached tree extension (Patches 6-7).
 3. Removing an unnecessary loop from verify_cache() (Patch 8).

Thanks, -Stolee

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Derrick Stolee (8):
  tree-walk: report recursion counts
  unpack-trees: add trace2 regions
  cache-tree: use trace2 in cache_tree_update()
  cache-tree: trace regions for I/O
  cache-tree: trace regions for prime_cache_tree
  index-format: update preamble to cached tree extension
  index-format: discuss recursion of cached-tree better
  cache-tree: avoid path comparison loop when silent

 Documentation/technical/index-format.txt | 39 +++++++++++++++++++-----
 cache-tree.c                             | 25 +++++++++++++--
 tree-walk.c                              | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++
 unpack-trees.c                           |  6 +++-
 4 files changed, 92 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

base-commit: 71ca53e8125e36efbda17293c50027d31681a41f
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-829%2Fderrickstolee%2Fcache-tree%2Fbasics-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-829/derrickstolee/cache-tree/basics-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/829
-- 
gitgitgadget